Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Let Me Go

Search engines get paid by advertises.
It seems that there is a conspiracy to hold you on their site as long as they can in order to expose you to as many ads as possible.

I wonder what would have happened whether search engines were paid by the public.

What would have happened whether the best brains in this business would have worked on improving search to the point that when you ask a question you get one answer which is the best?

I don't know how they will do it.

Maybe they will take 10 search engines and compare their results.
Maybe they will take an answer from an encyclopedia as a first option and only if this option fails they will start probing the search engine results.
Maybe they will arrange focus groups and learn the answers one by one until they arrive to the desired result.

Anyhow sometimes QTSaver is very surprising in this direction…

Once I asked about film genres. I got only one answer, but it was so perfect that I printed it in order to share it with everybody.

Even when QTSaver gives you no answer it is an answer. It means that QTSaver couldn't find a document with all your keywords. Then you have the option to ZOOM and get documents with less keyword. This feature combined with the counting of keywords that appears before each result enables you to scan the results and decide very quickly if you are on the right track.

That's what happened to me yesterday when I searched for text-to-speech shareware Linux. There was no result for all the keywords but the ZOOM gave me five results with most of my keywords.
only one had the word Linux in it

-and it was a hit!