Saturday, February 25, 2006

Tag Cloud

Tag clouds are much more meaningful to their creators than to casual visitors. I know it from my own experience. My tag cloud on Blinklist illustrates clearly my main interests but I will prove to you that they are subjective and reveal more to me than they reveal to you. This is a problem that tag architects should consider.

  1. I divide my Blog posting by using two tags:
    A.
    "QTSaver" - my Blog posting about QTSaver

    B. "Blog" - my postings about my blog.
  2. "Free web School" is a collection of links about free study resources that I made when I was dealing with Education for All.
  3. "Publishing" is a tag I give for every site that mentions QTSaver. Each time I discover through my Site Meter search engines that I didn't know.
  4. "Micro-content" is my main field of research.
  5. "Research" is a tag I gave mainly to links I collected for a research about gambling that was meant to explore the power of QTSaver to learn a new subject.
  6. "Comment" is a tag for links to comments I left on other Bloggers sites.

And here's MyMicroPedia about the term "Tag Cloud":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tag_cloud

  1. A tag cloud on the popular photo sharing site Flickr.
  2. A tag cloud (more traditionally known as a weighted list in the field of visual design) is a visual depiction of content tags used on a website. Often, more frequently used tags are depicted in a larger font or otherwise emphasized, while the displayed order is generally alphabetical. Thus both finding a tag by alphabet and by popularity is possible.
  3. Selecting a single tag within a tag cloud will generally lead to a collection of items that are associated with that tag.
  4. The first tag cloud appeared on Flickr, the photo sharing site. That implementation was based on Jim Flanagan's Search Referral Zeitgeist, a visualization of web site referrers. Tag clouds have also been popularized by Technorati, among others.
  5. VZ Local Search - Verizon's tag cloud based on popularity of user's local search terms
  6. Pacificepoch.com - enhanced tag cloud with related tags highlighting, and shades to indicate relationship strength
  7. Tagrolls generates HTML code to display your del.icio.us tag cloud

 http://www.petefreitag.com/item/396.cfm

  1. I actually find my tag cloud quite handy because it lists all my tags on one page, and I can see what topics I post about most frequently quite easily.I also use it as a way to see which tags I have already used, so I can be consistent when tagging posts.
  2. At this point you may be wondering what's a tag cloud?
  3. In my tag cloud I list all my tags, but if you have a lot of tags you may want to limit the min number of occurrences using a HAVING statement.
  4. You can define the distribution to be more granular if you like by dividing by a larger number, and using more font sizes below. You will probably need to play with this to get your tag cloud to look good.
  5. There are probably lots of different ways to build a tag cloud, but this is the first method that came to mind.
  6. Tag Cloud per AVBlog Andrea Veggiani - Blog personale

 http://weblog.infoworld.com/udell/2005/12/23.html

  1. Chris Gemignani at Juice Analytics has a much better treatment of tag cloud animation than the one I came up with the other day.

http://www.zeldman.com/daily/0405d.shtml

  1. Businesses are shoveling them into interface makeovers, with predictably mixed success. Thus Lulu, a company that helps people publish their own books, CDs, and other products, offers a half-hearted tag cloud to help customers browse categories.

http://www.echochamberproject.com/tagcloud

  1. Here is a "tag cloud" for all of the folksonomy tags used so far on EchoChamberProject.com.
  2. The first tag cloud is ordered by frequency and the second is alphabetized:
  3. Below is the alphabetized tag cloud...
  4. I'm going to pass this link along to some Drupal developers to see anyone is interested in coding this type of tag cloud feature into a Drupal module -- I think it'd be a relatively simple thing to automate.
  5. UPDATE: Greg Heller pointed me to Development Seed's tag cloud, and says that it's probably the "pop tags" Drupal module.So it may look like that this may already create this type of tag cloud.I have other ideas for what I want to do with this type of feature and Greg suggests that it might be possible to build on top of this module.
  6. UPDATE: The http://drupal.org/project/tagadelic developer for Drupal actually dropped by my site to see the tag cloud I hacked together and left a comment that says that he's interested in potentially collaborating with what I've come up.So there you go -- I throw a proof-of-concept together and the ball has already started rolling to modify an existing solution that I didn't even know existed before this afternoon.

 

 
Powered By Qumana

No comments: