Each morning when people take their dog to a walk - I take QTSaver to a learning adventure.
This morning I decided to follow Matthew Koll - I was sure that a guy who can have such an insight about haystacks and needles can teach me new things about search engines.
The first result I got was a conversation between Gary Price and Matthew Koll on http://searchenginewatch.com/searchday/article.php/3422751
And on the first paragraph I found interesting stuff about Matthew Koll:
- He is a pioneer in the web search industry.
- He was the founder and CEO of Personal Library Software, acquired by America Online in
- He's currently the founder and CEO of Wondir
- Wondir is a search engine Chris (Gary Price's partner) wrote about in 2002.
In the body of the article I found that
- In terms of returning answers instead of just documents... in spite of what my new company does (plug here for www.wondir.com). I don't think returning documents is all bad.
Now I followed the link: "Chris wrote about in 2002" http://searchenginewatch.com/searchday/article.php/2160071
And found out that:
- Koll is also acknowledged as the first to write and speak about the Invisible Web, the vast portion of cyberspace that is unindexed by most search engines.
- Attempting to organize the hundreds of online "AskA" virtual reference services provided by libraries around the world under a single umbrella, to provide human assistance when search fails to satisfy a user's information need.
- In addition to organizing library AskA services, Wondir also hopes to tap into the expertise of other volunteer online help programs, including government or social service organizations, civic groups, professional associations, university alumni associations and similar groups.
The word "Volunteers" is super interesting for me because I want to promote teaching of illiterates by Volunteering retirees. So my intuition led me to a hit – now I'll try to contact Matthew Koll and see if we can cooperate…
So I followed the Wondir linkhttp://www.wondir.com/wondir/jsp/index.jsp
In the ABOUT section and found out that
Wondir's vision is very close to ours:
- To connect people who have information needs with the people and information that can help them.
Our vision is more specific: to reduce illiteracy
Eventually I looked in the CONTACT details and found Wondir's email:
- For information on partnering with Wondir, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This was a nice morning walk with my QTSaver…now I'll have my breakfast.