Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Indirect hit

My friend Udi sent me the following e-mail:

Here is an unsuccessful search in Q.T.:

Tomorrow I'm going to visit a relative who lives in a parent's
home in Herzliya, Israel. I started with Google and searched for the
keywords Herzliya elderly. I got 940 results and after scanning 30 of them
I added the word English since this is a parents' home for English
speakers. I got 502 results which didn't lead me to a hit. So I did
the same in Yahoo and got 1640 results. After adding the third word,
English, I got 666 results and the ninth was the right one: Beth Portea. Now I
tried the same search on Q.T. and got no results. How do you explain
this?

Well, I replied, I searched on the yellow pages for parents home Herzliya and got the answer in two minutes.
Sometimes we have to look for the container in which a hit is hiding:
  • Look for a glossary to find a term.
  • Look for a special search engine that specializes in blogs in order to find a blog.
  • Look for a University staff list in order to find a certain professor.
QTSaver is not a search engine, but if you want to prepare a paper about the situation in parents' home in Herzliya in the shortest possible time and without a word of your own - you'd better use QTSaver.

פעם אחת הייתי מהלך בדרך וראיתי תינוק יושב על פרשת דרכים ואמרתי לו באיזה דרך
נלך לעיר אמר לי זו קצרה וארוכה וזו ארוכה וקצרה והלכתי בקצרה וארוכה כיון שהגעתי
לעיר מצאתי שמקיפין אותה גנות ופרדיסין חזרתי לאחורי אמרתי לו בני הלא אמרת לי קצרה
אמר לי ולא אמרתי לך ארוכה נשקתיו על ראשו ואמרתי לו אשריכם ישראל שכולכם חכמים
גדולים אתם מגדולכם ועד קטנכם: מסכת עירובין פרק ה
דף נג
ב

No comments: