Boy george - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
* Boy george (born George Alan O'Dowd 14 June 1961 in Eltham, London) is an English singer-songwriter and club DJ who was part of the English New Romantic movement which emerged in the early 1980s. He helped give androgyny an international stage with the success of Culture Club during the 1980s. His music is often classified as blue-eyed soul, which is influenced by rhythm and blues and reggae.
* Boy george's androgynous style caught the attention of music executive Malcolm McLaren (of Sex Pistols fame), who arranged for O'Dowd to perform with the group Bow Wow Wow, featuring Annabella Lwin. Boy george's association with Bow Wow Wow ended soon afterwards, and he started his own group with bassist Mikey Craig. The group was to be called In Praise Of Lemmings, but the name was later abandoned. Jon Moss (who had drummed with The Damned, Adam and the Ants and London) then joined the group.
* Several days later, keyboardist Michael Rudetski, who played on From Luxury to Heartache and had co-written “Sexuality” and "What Have I Got To Lose" with George, was found dead of a heroin overdose in George's home. This followed a second death, friend Mark Vaultier who overdosed on methadone and Valium at a party Boy george was attending but got arrested en route on suspicion of carrying drugs. A tour of America was cancelled and the group had disbanded by late 1986.
* The album (the tentative title of which, "Popularity Breeds Contempt", also survived as opening line spoken at the beginning of the 1993 collection called "At Worst: The Best of Boy george and Culture Club") was shelved, as it were, in favour of the recent growing interest in rock for George.
* Some of the tracks from those sessions appeared later on The Unrecoupable One Man Bandit Volume One, which was at first sold on the internet only and then distributed by several minor labels. Another project from the time was a new group that would include Boy george and two long-time musicians, John Themis and Richie Stevens. Initially named "Shallow", it was later re-named "Dubversive". The project took place in 1997 and was to include trip-hop, dub and reggae.
* "When Will You Learn" was also nominated for the Best Dance Recording, at the Grammy Awards. In 1999, Boy george collaborated on songs with dance-oriented acts. For example, "Why Go," a slow-paced track with Faithless, from their Sunday 8 PM LP, was later released in a remixed form in some European countries and Australia. A track was done with Groove Armada, named "Innocence Is Lost", but was only released on a promo 12" in 1999.
* Boy george was nominated for a Tony Awards for the "Best Musical Score", receiving good reviews about all the original songs included in the show. In 2002, Boy george released U Can Never B2 Straight, an "unplugged" collection of rare and lesser known acoustic works. It contained unreleased tracks from previous years as well as some ballads from Cheapness And Beauty and the Culture Club album Don't Mind if I Do. It received the best reviews of Boy george's solo career, many of them highlighting his strong song writing abilities. The record was only released in the UK and Japan, and received almost no promotion from Virgin Records, only rising to 147 on the UK album charts.
* From 2002 to 2004, under the pseudonym "the Twin", Boy george experimented in electronica, releasing limited edition 7" singles and promo records. Performed in small venues such as the Nag Nag Club, the material was considered innovative, but not commercially marketable. This period, however, was a very creative and liberating one for George; for "the Twin," could sing whatever he wanted. The limited releases included four 500 to 520 copies 7", one limited 12" (for Sanitized) and a promo cd, 1000 copies 13-track album Yum Yum. Two years later, it was released via digital outlets like itunes.
* A collaboration with electronic combo T-Total, the album was a collection of covers of songs by Jefferson Airplane, David Bowie, John Lennon, Dusty Springfield, T-Rex, and the Eurythmics among others. It is suggested that Boy george's numerous abandoned projects are due to his broad interest and need to explore other creative mediums such as photography, writing, and fashion.
* A reggae-ton oriented EP was also planned for August 2006 but was never released. Some recent tracks were shared by George himself in late 2006 and early 2007 on his YouTube account, his three myspace pages and sometimes on his official site. In January 2007, Boy george released "Time Machine" on Plan A Records.
Boy-George Boy george - Yahoo! Music
* British singer Boy george combined a strong, soulful singing voice with a provocative sense of fashion, both of which were first brought to the attention of English and American audiences in the group Culture Club, for whom he served. . .
The ultimate homepage dedicated to DJ, author and pop icon Boy george
* Apr 22, 2008 Boy george has announced the first round of dates for a summer North American tour.
* Apr 21, 2008 Boy george stunned the crowd at the Bacardi B-Live music festival in Moscow by singing in Russian with the Pyatnitsky folk choir. According to Russia Today he says he’s totally in love with Russia and her music. And to prove that, he learned the language. "There are a lot of things to explore in Russia,” Boy george said.
* Mar 30, 2008 "We met on my first trip to LA when I was travelling with Boy george. He was touring and we had a make-up artist friend who was throwing one of these brunches where they get together a load of celebrities who vicariously know each other in honour of someone or other.
* Jan 24, 2008 The Boy george tour have started!The excellent site www. allaboutboygeorge. com have photos of the merchandise.
* Jan 13, 2008 We asked John Themis some questions about the up and coming tour with Boy george in January 2008. John even shared some photos with us and - voilà - here's a proper interview 4 ya! Thanks to John and my friends!
* Jul 20, 2007 I'm in the process of encoding my entire VHS collection of Boy george, Culture Club and related video clips. Why not showing You some of my clips when I spend all the time to encode them and all! So I'm joining the tube and sharing some clips You might enjoy.
4. http://www. youtube. com/watch?v=YqeTpbV9nt0
YouTube - Culture Club - Boy george: Karma Chameleon.
* Culture Club - Boy george: Karma Chameleon.
* Added: November 09, 2007 (Less info) I Love Boy george ;).
* Tags: Culture Club Boy george: Karma Chameleon.
* boy george & culture club - do you really want to hurt me 04:25 From: SannieGirl5 Views: 112,098
* Boy george - Karma Chameleon (Live 12/06) 08:12 From: InMyArseGoesTheCash Views: 140,740
* boy george & culture club - karma chameleon 04:03 From: SannieGirl5 Views: 39,101
* Boy george The Crying Game 03:23 From: dandyperuvian Views: 485,593
* boy george interview 05:26 From: bitchtroll69 Views: 155,238
* Boy george - The War Song 03:51 From: dududez Views: 334,381
* Whisper - Boy george 03:25 From: martyrmantras Views: 96,354
* Boy george & Culture Club 1983 -- Karma Chameleon 03:57 From: Ricquer Views: 75,572
* BOY GEORGE "DO YOU REALLY WANT TO HURT ME ? " QUIVER MIX 05:29 From: mixology2 Views: 33,123
* generation of love boy george 03:55 From: avedisGR Views: 143,786
* Boy george Culture Club - Come Clean 03:17 From: DoccyBGforever Views: 15,160
* Boy george - Victims 04:50 From: dududez Views: 86,694
* Boy george - Bow Down Mister 03:42 From: dududez Views: 123,758
* Boy george Karma Chameleon 04:03 From: abbbys Views: 45,804