Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Using Flickr For My Blog

Google and Yahoo have enormous image collections. These are good for answering the question: is there a photo that suits my needs? For example, I collect Star of David photos on my blog. I search for Star of David on Google and get 55000 photos. I start evaluating them and find one that I wish to blog. How do I do that? I have to find out who shot it and ask his permission. How do I find him? At this stage things become quite complicated...


But with Flickr I can jump over this hurdle.
With Flickr I can answer an even more sophisticated question:
Is there a photo that suits my needs which is available to blog?
The answer is yes. I search for Star of David on Flickr. I get "only" 1,727 photos.
I go to the advanced search and at the bottom of the page there are options to choose:
Only search within Creative Commons-licensed photos
Find content to use commercially
Find content to modify, adapt, or build upon
I mark the first and the third options, push the search button, and get 372 photos available to blog without starting a correspondence about getting permission, and without waiting for an answer that might never come.

There's more: I choose the photo I want and see above it a button called "blog this". I click on it and the photo is on its way to my blog.

- And that’s it?
No, I go back to the comments section on Flickr to thank the photographer for letting me use his creation. The link to the original photo is automatically installed in my blog. Neat!

Imagine what will happen if Google and Yahoo will start using this feature on their enormous Image Search Engines...

No comments: